View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 04:29 PM
MacThayer

And people laugh at me for pre-washing pre-cuts, like jelly rolls and fat quarters. One of the worst disasters I've had is a lap quilt made out of jelly rolls, not pre-washed, because they tell you not to do that. It was for a raffle for a child with cancer. Of course I washed the quilt when finished, cold water, small amount of Orvis soap, and 3 color catchers. It bled everywhere! I was just sick. Not only was the quilt ruined, but I had less than 10 days to do something for the raffle, and this was important to me. I knew the family, and the little girl. So I picked up the queen sized quilt I had been working on, and I went to work like a madwoman. It was a real beauty, a log cabin with stars and an unusual layout. Very striking. I worked virtually non-stop, and finished it up the morning of the raffle. That quilt was meant for my Dad, but when I explained the situation to him, he just said: "You go, Sweetheart." They ended up putting the quilt in the auction, instead of the raffle, and it brought $500! That's quite a bit for a quilt! Would it surprise anyone to learn that my Dad was at the auction, and he was determined to outbid anyone. The bidding was pretty feisty, and at one point you had 3 determined people bidding! But my Dad wouldn't back down. He told me later that it was his quilt, and he wasn't going home without it! Is he great, or what?