Thread: HST blocks
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 06:02 PM
coffeebreak

Originally Posted by ladyfan3 View Post
Hello group
I need help with half square triangles I know to cut the square the size you need and to draw a line on the material and put the two fabrics together and then sew 1/4 inch on each side but that is where I mess up
how to sew the 1/4 inch on each side of the line I sew crooked some time does any one have a easier method to sewing the 1/4 inch and some times the squares are not the same size and they are crooked I am a new quilter and I don't know if I like HST I have been trying to cut the blocks for the mini carpenter star i really want to do this one but my HST are a mess I cut 3 inch squares and 3 1/2 squares but they are not straight I guess I could cut them down to 2 inch squares and maybe the material was bias cut to
I hope there is a easier way to sew and cut the blocks thanks
I do have a 1/4 inch foot so how do I use that on the lines ?
First time I did HST I had that same probelm. I cut the squares the size I wanted plus 1/2 inch for 1/4 seam allowance on each side. HOWEVER...in the case of an HST..you have to cut them 1 inch larger than what you want as that line down the middle and 1/4 on each side takes up 1/2. then the other half inch is for the seams that attach the HST to the other blocks. I was only allowing for the 1/2 larger for the outer seams...I was not allowing for the 1/2 needed for the inner seam. I make blocks THREE TIMES before I finally figured this out! I had enough blocks for 3 lap quilts! But nothing matched up because of I didn't allow that extra 1/2 inch.

Then.. I learned squaring up is a must. I use QIAD's square up template.. and it works great. Now...my HST blocks almost always are 100% matching.

Another thing that I learned that helps ALOT is to press the seam after you sew it as that flattens the threads in the seam which stops any "give" and gives you a specific and straight, flat seam. If you dont do this... your seams will be bulky, which means different sizes!

Plus what I learned in these 3 laps I ended up with...anytime you want an HST..you have to cut the squares 1 inch larger than what you want. But.. I was putting HST's together with a half square.. and was not adding the extra 1/2 inch to the square to accommodate the middle seam.

If you need help with a perfect 1/4 seam.. get a seam guide that attaches to the plate of your sewing machine. Or..take a piece of fabric with a straight edge...measure with a pencil 1/4 in inward and draw a line. Place your needle on the line and take couple stitches... then use a 1 in POST-IT note pad and place that at the edge of the fabric (while still under needle) and that is now your seam guide!