Thread: HST blocks
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 03:48 AM
Judi in Ohio

Default hst

Originally Posted by ladyfan3 View Post
Hello group
I need help with half square triangles I know to cut the square the size you need and to draw a line on the material and put the two fabrics together and then sew 1/4 inch on each side but that is where I mess up
how to sew the 1/4 inch on each side of the line I sew crooked some time does any one have a easier method to sewing the 1/4 inch and some times the squares are not the same size and they are crooked I am a new quilter and I don't know if I like HST I have been trying to cut the blocks for the mini carpenter star i really want to do this one but my HST are a mess I cut 3 inch squares and 3 1/2 squares but they are not straight I guess I could cut them down to 2 inch squares and maybe the material was bias cut to
I hope there is a easier way to sew and cut the blocks thanks
I do have a 1/4 inch foot so how do I use that on the lines ?
I am making 3,000 2" hst and I am using several techniques. A new one I used, was take a 5" square, iron on the diagonal a nice straight line, sew 1/4" on each side of your ironed line, do on both diagonal lines. Sew both lines. Go back to iron. Now iron in quarters. Cut on the iron lines and the sewn lines diagonally. You end up with 8 2" hst.
You also might like the printed hst. I use triangulations, but there are free programs out there. You simply print out the size you need - I use doodle pads cut down to printer size. Sew on the lines - actually I sew a hair inside of the lines. And voila, perfect hst. There are also rulers for this job. Find one that works for you.
HTH