View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 05:41 AM
gspsplease

I feed mostly dry kibble (dog food) but always read the contents label to ensure that grain especially corn is not the first ingredient listed, since the ingredients are listed according to what proportion of the kibble they make up. It's surprising how many of the "top" ie most expensive dog foods are predominantly grain. Look out for terms like "beef flavour" rather than beef -- it means there is only a tiny amount of beef included. I save all our (human)meal scraps especially cooked vegetables and raw broccoli stalks and carrots, and add a few spoonfuls to the kibble, then add a small amount of hot water which helps to release food scent -- this makes the food more attractive to the dog (try this if your dog is a fussy eater). I also buy chicken carcasses (most of the meat cut off leaving only fat, gristle and bone) which are very cheap (about 5 for $1) and feed them RAW ONLY to my dog with a little hot water to take the chill off if they are straight from the fridge (and to release the scent). Raw chicken carcasses are very good for your dog -- lots of calcium, and plenty of jaw exercise crunching them up-- but don't use them if your dog bolts his food or competes with another dog or they can choke if they try to swallow whole.