Thread: HST blocks
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 06:01 AM
EmiliasNana

I have been making a quilt with oodles of HSTs of all different sizes and I found Triangulations to be a life saver. It comes with a CD that enables you to print HSTs and QSTs in increments of 1/16". Basically you place your two fabrics right sides together, print the appropriate size triangles from the CD and lay that on top and pin. The printed paper has cut and sew (continuous line, by the way) lines. Start sewing. When done you just cut them apart. Depending on the size needed you can have anywhere from 4-32 + on a sheet. I have even used it for cutting single triangles of weird sizes (lets say 2 7/16"). I print the triangle sheet on my printer, spray with temporary adhesive and lay it on the wrong side of my fabric and cut on the cutting lines. The fabric doesn't shift and you have perfect triangles. The quilt pattern I was using used templates (ugh) but by measuring the sides of the template, I was able to use Triangulations instead. I also found out that pressing your seams OPEN helped me achieve greater accuracy. On matching triangle points I have resorted to using Elmers SCHOOL glue instead of a pin to match perfect seams. Works like a charm. After sewing I pop open the seam and iron flat. Good luck and hope this suggestion helps.