View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Snooks

Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
I have decided to try to feed my dog real food instead of dog food. I have read alot about being careful you make up the mineral and vitamins they need.

Right now she still has dog food to eat and I have given her some cooked chicken and cooked ham and hamburger. She is a med to large dog and I am trying to get a handle on what is best for her.

The reason I want to do this is she is getting too fat on dog food and yet she whines all the time for snacks. Since I have started this she doesn't want the snacks anymore. She has been so much more content and not so antsy.

But I would like some feedback if anyone is doing this. I know she needs vegs and fruits but she isnt' too thrilled with eating them. I tried hiding some peas and shredded carrots in some ground turkey but she wouldn't eat much of it.

Any help would be appreciated. I have been reading online about this but still not sure I have a good handle on it yet.
When I was growing up as a kid, we had show dogs. My mom always made them a meatball soup, it had carrots and rice in it. She would warm it up and the dogs loved it. All of them lived to be OLD. In the winter, we would give them Oatmeal or Cream of Wheat with a little milk in the morning and then they had soup late afternoon for dinner. Our dogs ALL lived to be 16 to 21 and none of them got fat. I still feed my dogs today the same way. They eat fruit and veggies, both cooked or raw. Good luck.