View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 09:35 AM
junegerbracht

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
I bought 10 yards of dark turquoise fabric from Jo ann's it was the country classic solids, for the back of a quilt, I washed it and oh my goodness did it bleed so after 5 washes with Shout color catcher in the wash the catchers are still coming out the same color as the fabric a very dark turquoise.. I did go back to Jo ann's and they told me they could not give me a refund as I washed the fabric.. I could not believe that they would say that, how would I know if the fabric would bleed if I didn't wash it.. they also told me to put vinger and salt in the wash and wash the fabric again..so as I speak that is what I am doing..Maybe this will work..

Now the top for this back.... I made a single Irish chain quilt and used a precut jelly roll of different color turquoise some light and some dark for the chain with white for the background, now I am wondering if this fabric will bleed like the backing..I did not wash the jelly roll, do any of you wash your precuts before you put them in a quilt top? I was afriad that the fabric would fray a lot and it would end up not the 2.5 inches that it started out to be.

Wouldn't you know it... this is a quilt someone asked me to make, it's the first quilt that I am making for someone that I am getting paid for. but oh my all the trouble ...if it was for me I wouldn't worry about it.. anyway thanks ladies for all your advice...
I feel your pain. When making a baby quilt using primary colors I decided that I had better prewash (I don't usually). I sure was glad I did the green bled and kept on bleeding - nothing helped including vinegar. Finally I just decided not to use the green.

I think I would email Joann's and complaing because I don't think that the stores response was reasonable. Truth is many of the staff at Joann's know nothing about fabric, sewing, or quilting. Good luck