View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 03:29 AM
bearisgray
Power Poster

I've learned to soak each color separately in hot water - then if the water starts to turn color, I try to isolate which piece is releasing the dye - and then that one gets special attention.

I'm starting to sound like a stuck record on this - but I think a commercially dyed fabric should not bleed . I consider a bleeder to be defective. I can deal with excess dye that is 'gone' after one or two washes - but why should I - as the final consumer of this fabric - have to buy anything else to set the dyes?

If I WANTED to deal with the dying process - I would see some point in needing to buy Retayne and Synthropol. Needing to buy it to set dyes on supposedly 'finished goods' really ticks me off!

From my experience - and I have washed hundreds of different fabrics - I can't tell ahead of time which one will be a problem. Brand name and cost don't seem to have much to do with it. I've had inexpensive fabrics ('no-name' fabrics from WalMart) behave well and some not-so-inexpensive fabrics (a red Moda from LQS, for example) release color.

Also - I've had at least one fabric from every color family be a bleeder. Turquoise and purple - are to me - as notorious for bleeding as red.