Old 09-27-2012, 09:48 AM
dottie dodge

Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
I couldn't figure out how to use the rotary cutter, and do the squares. I wasn't thrilled with the accuracy. I was taking a piece of fabric, and had a couple of 1.5" templates made at Lowes. I hold the template to the fabric, and go around it. I was able to sit in front of the boob tube, and multitask. SheriR explained how to cut it with the ruler, cutter,and mat. I was able to put it on my cocktail table, and I'm able to sit, and watch the boob tube. I have been cutting a bunch for the next swap. It was really bothering me, as even though nobody complained about the quality of my cutting work, I question it. I was in a swap with another group, and I got a bag of squares from another participant that was a month after the swap closed, and they weren't worth going over, as the squares were all sizes within millimeters, and looked like they were torn. Some had selvege. I was a little upset, and hoped that nobody was getting packets from me with those kind of problems.
Barri1, I hope you are using a small rotary cutter with that 1.5'' template. You are putting your fingers at risk if you are using a larger cutter. Have you thought about cutting 1.5'' strips and then cutting them into 1.5'' squares? You can cut your strips any length and then set your template on top of the strip and cut away. I think it would speed up your cutting time and be safer for your fingers.