View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

Do you know how to operate a basic sewing machine? Are you good at self-teaching? If so, then I will differ from the others and suggest you might want to buy online. At the very least, I would take a copy of the online listing with you to the dealership to see if they would drop the price for you; negotiate a little!

On the other hand, if you've never used a sewing machine before or are not comfortable with self-teaching, the local dealership should provide free lessons and support for a new machine. Be sure to ask about the classes and determine that the classes will be available at a time you can use them.

I'm not sure what the quilting table thingy is. Is it a piece that attaches to the machine? Or a table that you can set your sewing machine into? Check on the independent prices for these things to see if the package is a reasonable deal or not. In terms of a quilting table, this youtube video shows how to create an inexpensive table that works better for quilting than anything you could purchase for under $1,000:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM

I'm not familiar with the two machines you listed. As someone else mentioned, the needle down feature is really helpful for quilting.

I worked in a sewing machine dealership part-time years ago. IMO, the biggest reason to buy from a dealership is the lessons on how to use your machine. These are more valuable for the higher-end computerized machines that are loaded with features you want to learn how to use. For a simpler machine, and someone who can self-teach from the manual, lessons aren't as necessary.

Edit: I just looked up the two models at ace. For your purposes, I would think the 760 would be a better buy if the price is right. It weighs about the same as the 3 but is more of a full-featured machine and it has the needle-down feature. From the pictures, it looks to me as if the harp size (area under the arm, important so your quilt fits when you are free-motion quilting) is much closer to that of a home machine. Since most of your sewing time will be spent at home rather than in classes, I think you would be much happier with the 760. Ace probably has a good price for the machine but may not be able to advertise it because of manufacturer restrictions; that's usually why they make you call for pricing.