View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 02:49 AM
much2nice

Last year I made a quilt by Eleanor Burns - it was one of her "quick trip" quilts. YOu sew a bunch of strips together in a set, per the size you are making. Then you cut the strip sets into strips, - easy. Then you sew these strips together and they make a pattern because you offset the seams. This is made easy by simply cutting the first block of the first strip in half so you are offset by the width of 1/2 block and just pedal to the medal. (Maybe similar to something called a brick quilt.) First you sew four pieces, top left, top right, then bottom left and bottom right. Again, you are automatically offset when sewing the top and bottom of each side together, so yet again no matching, because the seams come together being offset. . However, when you sew up the center of the quilt, putting left and right sides together, to complete the quilt top, then you do have to match the seams. That is however, the only seam that is actually matched up. It goes like wildfire. I think Blanche Young used to have this quilt also in one of her books. This is the trip around the world, and on Eleanor's DVD's and her book Quick Trips which is in stores, is readily available. I made three of these, one a king size, and two toddler quilts, and they work up rapidly and are quite striking. If anybody is interested, I could give the directions - (but is that against copyright laws?) I want to obey the rules. I know Eleanor gives the dimensions free on her tv series for the lap size quilt.