Old 09-28-2012, 08:03 AM
brendapm

[QUOTE=brendapm;5546911]Thanks for posting the pictures. How sad to see such a beautiful quilt so damaged. I'm trying to repair an antique applique quilt that is getting holes, just from wearing out. The quilt label is off. The binding is worn through. I think someone washed it carelessly. I inherited it, and don't know it's history. I'm not having good luck with appliqueing patches or using a fusible. The fusible makes the patch so thick, stiff, and noticable. The applique is pulling already thin threads. Maybe I need an even thinner needle and thread.

Anymore suggestions for repairing quilts? Let's get off the smoking rant. (Don't smoke, never smoked, but would really like to repair this quilt as well as possible.)

I should have added that someone else tried to repair this quilt before. There are several appliqued patches on the back (muslin) that have a stiff dark tan line down the middle (I'm assuming some kind of fray stopper) there are now holes beyond/outside the applique stitching of these patches. I'm thinking of finding fabric (all the appliques are solid) and tracing patterns from the quilt top to add to the backing and the quilt top where the muslin is torn. There are 2 leaves fraying off the front. If I can find suitable fabric I may replace the whole leaf.

Mother of 3 and I would appreciate any more ideas for repairing there quilts.

[HR][/HR]Brenda[When all else fails, go to pieces.]