Old 10-10-2009, 02:55 PM
bearisgray
Power Poster

Kiav10 and bettia - the small block wasn't yours -

I have really enjoyed looking at them - I've learned something from all of them - especially the backs.

My Mom was a person that always looked at the inside of a garment to see how a garment was constructed or at the back of a piece of needlework. She was an extraordinarily talented woman. A tough act to follow.

I completely forgot about using sashing to compensate for variations in sizes. Sew on borders/compensating strips/frames and then trim all the blocks to the same size. Actually a very doable thing. And then go on to arranging them - - -

I do hope that those that backed out will reconsider.

I still think it is a good idea to measure the blocks that one receives just so one knows what one will be working with. It's much easier to compensate right away with various sashings, setting strips, frames etc when one knows that it will make the blocks look nice in the finished piece.

I really was just trying to make it easier for everyone in the longer run.

One of the more famous quilts of our time - the quilt by Jane A. Stickle of the Dear Jane book - her blocks varied immensely in size (from about 3.5 to 4.75 inches) - although it's really hard for me to tell from the tiny pictures how much is part of the block design and how much is sashing - but it sure looks like she did a lot of "compensating" to make her blocks "fit" in that quilt. I think the "average" is about 4.5 inches.

So if that was a 12-inch block, that would have made the blocks vary from about 9.3 inches to 12.7 inches.