View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 05:40 PM
thepolyparrot

I love your Christmas tree - I might make one from charm squares, too. Those would be nice gifts.

I bought the Christmas tree as a kit - but it's only 2½" squares, so a pretty small wall hanging before you put the borders on.

I had received a mini charm pack as a gift in a large Moda order and I made that into a little quilt top - and I do mean little. Even with my own borders and bindings to the 42 mini charm squares, the quilt is only about 11 X 14. I put a double-layer of batting in it to use it as a hot pad on the table. Mercy, what a lot of work for something so small! And what a lot of fabric wasted.

I minimized the waste by drawing around the template and then cutting about 1/8" outside the drawn lines, then using about a 3/16" seam allowance.

The waste didn't stop me from getting the twister rulers for charm packs and layer cakes, though. I'm planning to make a big dent in my stash by using 10" squares.

The resulting quilts end up about 1/3 smaller than the plain blocks, but they're so pretty when they're done, they're irresistable.