Old 09-29-2012, 05:21 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grann of 6 View Post
I think most people stick with a brand they are familiar with. I have never tried any other brand except for my Vikings, mainly because the dealer is in my local Joann store, and her service and knowledge is beyond spectacular. The other dealers are too far away to make checking them out practical.

I would say for anyone considering a new machine, to make sure you have a GOOD dealer, and good customer service. You never know when you will need it. Also what is important to you in a machine may be far different than what I need. Buying a sewing machine is really no different than buying a car, or even a house for that matter. Take your time, and get informed.

Well Said!!!
Absolutely vital to have a dealer that will be there to service your machine ... and to help you if you are having troubles, on the phone or IRL, as needed. A bargain/deal does not prove to be such when you can't resolve a problem, get service, parts, etc.

Me? I purchased a Janome 6600, a year ago (my third Janome).
Love all the features and use most as appropriate.
Seldom use the fancy stitches, though they are there when I do want them.
Absolutely love the needle up/down, auto-thread, start-stop, accu-feed, wider throat, etc.

The knee lift is annoying as some say ... though it's all about practice, practice, practice ... and I am coming to like it. Someone suggested on the QB before, to use my left foot on the pedal and the right knee on the lift and that has made a difference to my getting used to it. Some sewing I do not use it, though for some, I see huge advantages ... now for the practice, practice, practice, to get more comfortable and adept in using it!

As for what I do not like about it... nothing!!

..........well, that's not exactly true ..........Because it has helped me come to love FMQing, I now want a larger throat and would like more consistency in FMQ stitches (BSR-like, though I keep hearing negatives about it's functioning). So I'm following this thread to see what machines that may be the answer to my dreams!

Last edited by QuiltE; 09-29-2012 at 05:28 AM.