View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 06:59 AM
Sierra

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
I only Quilt and Knit because it gives me pleasure and I find it rewarding and relaxing. It doesn't mean that I have stopped buying knitted things or quilts!! I still do both.
I do it because it is a way of showing love to my family and close friends, and sometimes for raffles or blanket drives, etc. But nygal's statement stopped me cold. Rewarding, yes, relaxing, NO. I am obsessed when I am quilting. Driven!

But also, I like the idea that when I'm gone, the people in my family will have a memory of me that is positive. Each quilt has been made especially for each person and none have been made with a pattern (except what I, or the recipient made). Right now a dragon is on my quilt wall for an "almost" grandson. We went out together to buy the fabric (ALL the ladies in each LQS we ventured into fell in love with the college aged lad... I had to interrupt to ask a question! That adds to my memories and his!). I like the idea leaving a legacy of quilts throughout the family.

Also, I have worked with several grandchildren, male and female, on quilt making. More memories..... And, yes, I do love the creative process, like making a design or picture that will fit the person for whom it is intended. I love trying out new techniques. My technical sewing isn't that good, but it is organic and I guess that shows.

Last edited by Sierra; 09-29-2012 at 07:06 AM.