View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 07:04 AM
Tartan
Power Poster

Sometimes when I want just a little bias binding I just use a yard of fabric and cut the strips on the the 45 or bias. I iron the fabric open and starch my fabric and use my large square with the 45 degree angle and draw the first line with my pencil on the wrong side of the fabric.
I put the 45 line of the ruler on the straight raw edge of the fabric, the ruler will be pointing up onto the fabric on point. I then draw along the ruler edge as far as my square goes and extend that line with another ruler to the selvage edge. I now have the first bias line and I use that line to mark another line further up the thickness I want for my binding and so on. When I have enough binding lines drawn, I cut along the longest lines and sew the strips together (fewest joins).
I do use the continuous bias binding technique if I am doing a whole quilt with scallops. If it is a really small project that needs bias binding.....I look for a men's neck tie that I can cut and use. Ties are made on the bias and you can get one of two pieces from a tie for binding.