View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 07:49 AM
brendapm

I love the process, from finding a pattern I want to make, buying the fabric, (well, maybe not the cutting so much), putting blocks together, seeing how the design comes together, hand and machine quilting. I usually make the quilts for me-something I like. I hope my children and grandchildren will one day enjoy them as much as I love having quilts in my home that were made by loved ones now gone. I loved the idea of having a quilt party and letting each family member choose their favorite. I did design a quilt for my grandson that he is getting for high school graduation next Spring. I have purchased fabric when I see something that just calls out that it "suits" one of my children or grandchildren, but usually I like to have a pattern before I choose the fabric. I love fabric stores, my LQS is my favorite, but I also go to a LQS in my hometown 75 miles away. I get great satisfaction when a quilt is completed. I tell my grandchildren that their Nana is crazy, she takes perfectly good fabric and cuts it up into tiny little pieces just to sew it back together again. I just made a doll quilt with my 6 yr old granddaughter. She picked out the fabric from the stash and stayed with me every minute of the process. She liked choosing and setting the decorative stitches we used to machine quilt it together. Maybe I have another generation quilter coming up - that would be wonderful.