Old 09-29-2012, 05:59 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Originally Posted by callen View Post
I own a Bernina Series 8 model 820 machine & I love it. The auto needle threader works like a charm, it has a very large harp area (which was a priority for me). I am impressed with everything it does & the quality of the machine itself. The lighting is great, it has a bobbin 2-3x the size of most regular bobbins, so less filling.I was first quoted $8500. here in Canada & the dealer came down to $6500. + taxes (of course) so that's what I decided on. I also have a Juki straight stitch machine that is a real work horse - nothing fancy but it sure does work. I also have a Janome 350E embroidery only machine that I just bought so I have only played a little with it so far, but so far, so good.It really isn't the fact that any machine is TOL or not TOL, it is whatever you are looking for in a machine & of course, what you can comfortably afford.
CAllen's final statement is SO true ... it's important to get a machine that's a match for your needs (and wants, though sometimes that's beyond what IS needed!) ... and affordable.

I'd be interested to hear from more about their experiences with the Bernina 820 (or other comparables)
... I'm particulary interested in the larger harp space, and BSR

Does the BSR really give you consistent FMQ stitch lengths?