Old 09-30-2012, 05:12 AM
flybreit

I just made one of these Fri night. Here are some directions I gave a friend - maybe this will help: So I made this one without a pattern - sort of. I did get a picture from http://karensayssew.blogspot.com/

I think 1 1/4 yd makes a runner about 40" long; I used 2 1/2 yards for this one and it is 72".

I wanted it pretty wide (20" + binding) so instead of using the triangle ruler (which makes a runner about 16" + binding, I used the 60 degree line on my 6 x 24" ruler. It worked really well :->

So, decide how wide you want your runner, decide which stripe to cut your fabric (don't forget the seam allowance) and cut two lengths of your fabric.

Now you are ready to cut the end pieces. The first cut needs to put the wide edge of your triangle to the outside of your table runner and make your first cut slanting in. This piece is not used for the table runner (but goes a long way towards a candle mat :-> see below).

Cut the second piece the opposite way - the wide edge of the triangle to the center of the runner. This piece will be used for the runner. Cut two pieces from each end of each strip of fabric.

Match your fabric and sew the wedges to each end of the long strips. Then you'll have a straight seam down the center of the runner. Add batting, backing, quilt and bind. Voila! Make a couple of extra wedges and you can make candle mat. Or make the first cut with the wide edge of the ruler to the centerof the runner - then you'll have a mat (or a hot pad with Insulbrite) and runner, and no waste.

You can find a YouTube video for the correct way to do the binding for the odd angled corners. I did it by a lot of fiddling (and fussing).

I hope this makes sense! I looked for a YouTube video but didn't find one.