View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 07:54 AM
jrhboxers

Question My Husband's Winter Project

I posted a few months ago that I had found a 185J at a flea market for $3. I had been planning to have it refurbed and painted. But at the county's convenience center, DH found a GB version of the 185J. They both seem to have a few issues but both do currently work. So DH has decided that he is up to taking them apart and rebuilding a Frankenstein 185J. Basically the case and 'pretty' parts of the found one and the best of the workings from both. He has been building from scratch and bashing together model trains, so he says that this is basically the same kind of thing. We have purchased a 185J owners manual AND the official Singer service/repair/rebuild manual.

So now to my question - What does he use to clean all of the working parts - I thought that I have read somewhere that you cleaned them with the same machine oil that you use in the machine? Or am I wrong?

And is that anything helpful information that you have for him? What pitfalls to avoid? Neat tricks or shortcuts that work? Any help would be appreciated.

I figured that he is into this idea, so why not let him go for it. I mean I only paid $3 for both machines. Thanks