Old 09-30-2012, 08:28 AM
carriem

Honchey--not my recipe originally, but I have altered it to make it my own. I increase the chicken broth, corn, and potatoes....it just depends on how big of batch I want. Additions/what I do in (). Basically I make it a batch big enough for a couple meals for a family of 5.

1 large onion, chopped (I use yellow/vadalia)
1/2c. butter
2 1/2c. water (I use chicken broth instead of water and add more to make sure potatoes are covered for cooking)
2-14.75oz cans cream corn (4-6 cans)
4 medium potatos, peeled and cut into approx 1/2" cubes (8-10)
2c. milk
1 1/2t. salt
3/4t. pepper

Saute onion in butter until tender in large soup pot. Add water (or broth), corn and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 16-20 min or until potatoes are tender. Reduce heat to low. Stir in milk, salt and pepper. Cook for 5-10 min or until heated through, stirring occasionally. If need to thicken, I mix a little water with cornstarch and whisk in slowly.

I made it last night for today because we like it thick...by cooling it completely and then reheating it, it is always thicker. Just took the apple crisp out of the oven and the catfish is now baking. DH was in charge of the fish, he likes to cook and I am HAPPY to let him. He found a recipe for a "rub" that has lemon juice and several spices. We've had it once before and it was very good.

DS (12yr) caught the fish this summer in the river by our house. He takes care of catching and cleaning the fish. Plus he does the best job frying the fish when we eat it that way. This was a very good summer for fishing...I guess at least the drought was good for something!