View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 09:26 AM
jraff

We made 3 wall-hanging quilts for the church wall. Since the border was purple batik, they were hung in the banner closet when Lent was over. Unknown to anyone, there is a small water heater in the ceiling above that closet to service the handicap/family bathroom that was added 10 years ago. As is the way with all water heaters, 10 years and they develop a leak. When I finally found it, the purple had run into the white setting triangles and blocks. The red felt banners and purple felt banners had also bled into their white lettering.

I was able to get the purple out of the white with Oxi-clean in a pre soak and paste. I even used a little Shout when I put it in the washer. And for good measure I always threw in a Color Catcher. I washed one quilt 2 more times. Then had to stop, because the purple was getting more faded than the other two. There is still a small lavendar tint in one area, but you won't be able to see it when it is up on the wall. Everyone who had seen the damage was amazed. I really think there were some angels behind me that morning.

I still have to repair the red banner, but won't need to hang that until the end of October.