Thread: Fmq
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 03:20 PM
KathyRobin

Originally Posted by QM View Post
I have never had this particular problem, although I certainly sympathize. Do you "set" the thread in the tensioners? (pull slightly to get it clear in). Always thread with the presser foot up. I say this because it sounds like an upper thread tension problem to me. Speeding up usually does not help with FMQ problems. Are you using all of the "thread path" to control the thread? There are only a few reasons to bother changing the tension setting, such as extra light/heavy thread. Usually if I have thread shredding, I suspect 1) a needle burr 2) lint in the machine, especially around the feed dogs. 3) burr on bobbin/bobbin case. Of course, any time I have problems my general approach is to stop, clean/oil the machine, completly rethread it. Both my quilting instructor and my dealer say this.

I hope I have not been too heavy handed with my answer.
Thank you, QM. Not heavy handed at all. Yes, I've rethreaded so many times I can probably do it blindfolded. I've changed needles, and not using feed dogs. But I will soon try new thread and needles so I hope to have a success story in a few day.