View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 09:43 PM
QuiltingCrazie

I live in Germany, were military so I have two options on and off base. We do have 1 quilt store on a base an hour away, in March it's moving closer to us....my DH is soooo excited! lol There are some on the economy. Problem isn't so much selection as price. The dollar is down here so to give an idea on the economy 1 yard= 36in. 1 meter=39 inches 1$=.86-.70 (depending on the exchange rate) so lets go shopping.....
Stof is a fabric company not sold in the states and it's fantastic so say you fall in love with one like I did and have to have it.
Fabric on average is priced 12-18 euro a meter. So $15-22 a meter in dollars. Being military we can use a vat form but they cost $7 a piece so not worth it if your not saving $7 or more. All prices here include a 19% tax rate a vat form takes that 19% off the price.
So say you want 5 yards priced at 16 euro a meter, so 80 euro -15 euro with a vat =65 euro in dollars around $91
Even the shop on post is priced like a LQS and it's not a discount type store like say Joanns. I shop there when I can to support them plus they carry old Moda lines which I love and I actually get to touch fabric!
Shopping online is cheaper, I buy charm packs to sample fabric, batting at joanns when on sale but all Joanns packages take 6 weeks.
If coming to Europe to live I would buy batting in bulk to last you through a years worth of projects to start, buy an extra cutting mat because I have never seen a sale on cutting mats anywhere here, extra favorite ruler and thread is hard to find in a variety because 90% of thread here is poly.
We love it here and you adjust and look for deals. Our guild this past weekend went on a trip 40 mins from my village and a quilt shop there opened exclusively for us and sold us all cotton fabric including flannel for 5 euro a meter.....was fantastic!!!
We have an APO as well so we pay US shipping rates not international.