Old 10-01-2012, 11:13 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Jo Anne B. View Post
Newbie here...
I am considering adding a second machine, my choices so far are a 1950's era Singer 66-16 or Pfaff 2022,
Will the Singer be belt driven or gear driven? Did Singer make both in the 66-16, I would like the second machine to be functional I like the larger throat area of the singer, like the user friendly Pfaff... any helpful hints for me would be so appreciated!
Jo Anne B.
Jo Anne, I guess the question I would ask myself is, do I need the decorative stitches of the Pfaff 2022? Do I just need a straight stitch machine? Am I going to be taking the machine with me out and about to classes, etc.? What about the weight if the 66 is not in a cabinet? They are very well made, very heavy machines that will last you a liftetime +, but they are also very heavy. The plastic Pfaff is a great machine, but it won't last or be as durable as the 66. Another plus is that you can service the 66 yourself! The Pfaff would have to go to a dealer. I am a Pfaff lover, but for durability I'd take the 66. They have a beautiful stitch and it will last as long as you need it to. Now if you were making me chose between a vintage Pfaff and a Singer 66 - I'd take the vintage Pfaff everytime!

In this case, I'd go with the 66 - unless I needed the decorative stitches and IDT foot, which is really a nice accessory!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 10-01-2012 at 11:16 AM.