Old 10-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Ethel A

I'm doing something new and different to me. Usually, I use muted colors in my quilts (along the lines of reproduction fabric). I found a fun pattern in the April/May 2009 Fons & Porter Love of Quilting magazine called "Seams of Opal." I don't really have any scraps for this quilt, so I went out and bought 1/4 yard each of bright, bright fabrics of all kinds (39 different fabrics in all). I won't use up all of the fabric since this is only a 74" x 74" quilt, but that means I'll just have some leftover for another fun project, right? This is my WIP, so far (only 30 blocks, so far). It'll have 100 log cabin blocks in the end, and 8" wide white borders. Each log cabin block measures 5 1/2" x 5 1/2". It is turning out to be a fun quilt to work on; and it's keeping me preoccupied while I search for a new job. There's not much else to do between sending out resumes, following up, and doing some research on the Internet.

*** Side note: If you don't have bright scraps, like me, don't overlook the clearance fabrics at your lqs or at the chain stores. When you are only buying 1/4 yard, and clearance fabric is sometimes $1.50 - $2.00 / yard, you can whip up a quilt like this for next to nothing.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-5487.jpe