View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 06:59 AM
Annlil

I am from Denmark (Scandinavia) but living in The Netherlands and I can only agree that everything is so much more expensive here in Europe compared to US. In Denmark the sales tax is 25% (on everything from milk to fabric) and in the Netherland 21% on fabric (from October 1.)
These high taxes have turned quilting into a very expensive hobby. As other people has indicated it can be difficult to find special things here. Internet is an option, but then comes the shipping and maybe the custom "fee" on top.

Actually I have only one thing that I have been unable to find - the curved presser foot. I can find it on the internet but the sellers does not ship it to Europe.
For the rest I can find it here, it is just more expensive.

I started quilting a couple of years ago and I am crazy about it. I love the preparation, choosing pattern and fabric, less to sew it and I do not like to finsih a quilt :-).

I have found the ideal solution. I am member of a charity quilt group. We get a lot of very beautyfull fabrics donated. I have just finish a quilt mainly made from Hoffmann fabrics. I can make the top (the creative part I love) and other in the group will finish the quilt. We have women in the grup who love to do the quilting and others who love to do the binding. Most of our quilts are send to poor hospitals in the east (former USSR), and some quilts are sold for gatting money for buying batting, threads etc.

Next week I go to New York, and for sure I will visit some fabric shops. Hope my suitcase will be big enough