View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 AM
squires1042

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
Unfortunately, life has altered my plans for retirement and we are on a very limited income now. I have had to stop sending secret pal international due to shipping prices. It would normally cost $11 to ship a package here in the states but cost 2 1/2 times that amount to send international. I am not real good at distance, but miles from Alabama to England are around 4,000 miles. Miles from Alabama to Alaska are around 3,000. Why is it 2 1/2 times more to ship to England?
Its a lot more than 3000 from Alabama to Alaska but the you are right about the postage. We use the flat rate a lot as we can pack it and the price is the same. The problem is getting merchants or sellers to do the same. UPS and Fedex are extremely expensive for us in Alaska as it is in England also where I grew up. (Ipswich). I rarely buy from the quilt stores when I go back to England because of the cost. That being said, flat rate boxes can be used for overseas and in the large one you can get about 25 yards of fabric as long as as it does not exceed 20 lbs in weight, the cost is between $50-60. I work at a quilt store and during the summer that is what we use to ship for customers from overseas who buy their fabric from us. We usually pack the boxes and then they will do the post office part so that they are responsible for the customs part of it.