View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Sierra

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
How old are your grandchildren? 2 years ago I made both of my greatgrandsons quilted duffle bags out of racing car fabric with their names appliqued on them to load up with toys when they traveled to their grandmother's house. Tney were preschool age and their comments were "I wanted an electric remote control car." Their mother's comment was, "Well, you didn't get it." Next year the whole family got a check. I just quit sending out gifts unless someone asks me to make them something. I can't make remote control cars.
That mother really missed a teaching moment! I had a DIL who told me she saw nothing reasonable about taking perfectly good fabric, cutting it into little pieces and putting it back together again. After the divorce the children are spending every other week with their Dad and I noticed they didn't have their quilts so I askedtheir mom for them. NOW the are so proud of them and won't go to bed w/o them! The older one, 11, has asked me if we can make together a "leaf" quilt next summer because she thinks fall is the prettiest time of the year.

All the other gkids love their quilts and drag them from room to room, make hide-aways, wrap themselves in them to watch TV for their limited time in the eveings.
Sometimes divorce can be a good thing! The mama is nicer now and the kids and our son are happier, too. Isn't there a saying, "If mama isn't happy, no one is!"

The other gkids have mamas who love getting the quilts (each is designed for that particular child) and their attitude is a reflection of their mamas. One boy made a tree quilt with me some years ago, and he asked for a specific quilt just before he left for another country to go to school for a year (at age 14!). If the parents have no respect, the kids won't have any respect.