Old 10-02-2012, 12:24 PM
pinkCastleDH

Originally Posted by oregongirl View Post
I love those elaborate decals - why aren't things made beautifully now? don't you wonder about that sometimes?
Well, there are different types of beauty (Braun and Apple get lots of kudos for a certain clean design and I tend to agree) but I wish there were more ornate, beautiful designs that didn't necessarily go for gaudy. Herself and I were talking about it the other day when we were trying to decide what machines to focus on for our collection. Some of the machines of the late 19th to mid 20th centuries seem to capture both the clean lines of the minimalist school and the fun and/or pretty ornamentation and those are our first priority. Some of the purely minimalist looks (e.g. the 201) are just plain graceful, thoough - in fact I suggested the name Grace for that 201 when I first saw it.

Once I get it cleaned up the New National is going straight to display in the dining room. It was made just a few years after the house was built and it looks like it belongs. I think a parlor cabinet with Collete, the Red Eye, would also go well