Old 10-02-2012, 07:22 PM
draggin_behind

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I prefer to sew at home, but it's not really because of the talking in a group sewing situation. At home I have everything handy, my sewing machine is at the correct height for me and recessed into a table, the cutting table is large and at the right height, the lighting is good, my chair is ergonomic, and I can either listen to a book on CD or turn it off if I need to concentrate. If I get tired of sewing I can leave it for a few minutes or a few hours and it will be just where I left it when I come back. If I go out to sew I have to lug all my things, run the risk of forgetting something, have to deal with uncomfortable chairs and cutting tables, and I don't get much done. I love chatting with other quilters, but I'd rather not sew with a group.

It depends in my world. I have health issues, so if I feel up to doing it, I do. Otherwise, it'll still be there when I get around to it.

If I am going to sew binding or "mindless" stuff, I'm okay in a group. I feel like I'm moving and my fave machine stays home (loved but heavy Juki) and my class machine and I aren't always on the same page which is annoying. I hate the chairs to table height ratio and am usually dead when I get home. If I am going to a group session where we are supposed to be taught something new, I'd almost rather take really good notes and go home to play with it on my own. It annoys me no end when someone (or several of them) invariably ask "huh?" or "what was that?" or "I didn't hear that, can you repeat it?" several times. I really don't mind if they can't hear the instructor, but when they are chit-chatting and just not paying attention, it is VERY annoying to me.

So, if it's something I already know how to do and am confident in my ability to sew it, I'm okay in a group. My best sewing and cutting I do at home. My best piecing I do at home -- better light, better machine, better set-up, better temperature control. And the fridge is close at hand if I want some ice.