Old 10-03-2012, 07:13 AM
pinkCastleDH

Originally Posted by grayhare View Post
Yes, I know that is what I was thinking (Blasphemy!) Just trying to figure out an option for this new cabinet, it is so cute, simple and small. I wanted to stick with water based products, and my experience level with stripping is zero.
I've had way too much experience stripping paint (and some varnish). It's not really terribly difficult but the only things I've found that really do the job are caustics based or methylene chloride based. The first will degrade wood - lye is used in the pulping process to break down wood fiber when making paper - the last off-gasses carbon monoxide. I usually end up using the methylene chloride ones and just do it outside (not in the garage - outside) and leave the area while it's working. I've had good luck putting plastic wrap (Saranwrap) over it to keep it from drying out too quickly since the longer it's liquid the longer it works.

As for finishing products, I'd suggest shellac. The solvent is just alcohol and it doesn't contain any heavy metal drying agents.

Last edited by pinkCastleDH; 10-03-2012 at 07:15 AM. Reason: addition