Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 AM
grayhare

Originally Posted by pfroggg View Post
Hi Anamaria,

One trouble with painting a cabinet is that after a few years' wear and tear it will look a lot worse than if it had been left unpainted. Have you tried using 'restoration' rather than 'refinishing' methods? The Treadle On standard approach is to clean with something like Murphy's Oil Soap, touch up the scratches with Old English polish with stain, then use Howard's Restor-a-Finish to even out the old finish. Then wax (e.g., with Howard's Feed-n-Wax or whatever it's called). This will usually make a cabinet, etc. look a LOT better without erasing its history. JMHO.

pat
Hi Pat,
Yes, I have seen the 'restoration' method on Treadle On. I think that is what i am going to try on my Parlor cabinet.
But, this new cabinet, which was a Blonde wood cabinet, has been stained, and the finish is coming off the cabinet legs which were not sanded before staining. The top part of the cabinet the stain is not even, looks like it soaked in, in spots, and some areas are rough and smooth?? So, was trying to see what would work for it without stripping it. Thank you
Anamaria