View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Mari Makes

Default Piecing Triangles

I recently decided to make my first quilt, and I'm having trouble getting started. I want to make a "thousand pyramids" quilt with isosceles triangles, but I'm really confused when it comes to piecing the triangles. I've looked at a tutorial for piecing (http://www.stitchedincolor.com/2012/...-tutorial.html) and it's very helpful, but I'm still a little lost.

I've been reading that when the triangles are overlapping, there should be a 1/4" point sticking out from the top and bottom before sewing the seam, but how can I tell when the triangles are overlapped just right? Do I have to measure the "poky bits" on every single pair before I begin sewing? Is there a trick to lining them up quickly and correctly? I cut some triangles out of paper to practice with, but I'm having trouble lining them up so that there's exactly 1/4" on each end.

Also, should I add a 1/4" or 1/2" seam allowance to the height of my triangles when I'm cutting them?

If anyone has tips or can point me in the direction of a book or tutorial that will explain these things, I'd really appreciate it!

Marissa