View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 11:46 AM
draggin_behind

Red face

Could be that dummy here wasn't clear.

Cut strips of fabric selvedge to selvedge. Strips must be at least 1 1/2 inches wide and at most 2 3/4 inches wide. 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 preferred. Variety is the spice of life -- at least for some people. lol

Sew strips together lengthwise in whatever order floats your boat until the strip set measures at least 22 inches top to bottom by 40-45 inches wide.

Press all seams in one direction. Make 2 strip sets.

Find some non-see-through white material, preferably a solid (mine is solid from a distance, oh well). Cut 4 squares at 12 1/2 inches square. Lightly make a mark (in the seam allowance? not told) 3 inches from each corner on each square.

Find 2 fabrics to showcase in the block(s) and cut at least 10 squares of each fabric at 4 inches square. Cut these guys on one diagonal. After doing that, carefully press the diagonal under 1/4 inch without stretching or distorting.

Note: Thanks so much for the tip on using freezer paper. Just bought a big roll and will definitely try it!!

Make sure to have about a yard of lightweight interfacing along with the above stuff.

Fusible interfacing has been forbidden. When I asked why I couldn't use it, I was told to not participate if it bugged me that I couldn't use fusible. Gotta admit that answer got my dander up. Anyway, will probably go just to watch if nothing else. At the moment, I cannot walk, drive or operate a sewing machine. Worse case of gout/gouty arthritis I have had in years and I cannot have the indocin et al to "kill" it due to stomach ulcers. Diet did not trigger this episode.

Anyway, if someone wants to see the pattern or samples others have done in the past, I fail to see what the big deal is. Giving step by step "homework" on various days I get. Some of us get sidetracked easily. The secrecy thing I do NOT get. JMHO

Thanks for all the suggestions & ideas. I'm rigid in some things and very much both a perfectionist and a visual learner. And suffer greatly from "foot in mouth" disease.

Thanks so much,
Mary