View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 PM
bigbrownowl

Fabric is very expensive here in the UK. In fact, it is really that everything related to quilting is much more expensive here. The choice is also limited, especially in rural areas. Notions and haberdashery items eventually find their way here, but slowly. I have real trouble finding freezer paper, which is only sold in craft shops here, and is HUGELY expensive (I have seen it at £19.99 a box - admitedly I didn't buy it - thought that it was a bit pricy!).

My daughter now lives in PENNSYLVANIA (Whoop de do!). She is coming over in November, and I have already given her a list of things to bring. I transfer the cash into her paypal account, and away we go. I can get so much for £100! Next summer, my youngest daughter and I are going over for three glorious weeks, and we are taking lots of suitcase space.

Your garage and estate sales seem to yield lots of interesting finds. We used to have lots of Jumble Sales here, but they seem to have gone out of fashion, and those interesting items now end up on ebay at over inflated prices! My daughter has started to compile a list of goodwill stores in the area that we can go and visit, and of course the wonderful Craigslist, which hasn't really taken off here.

In conclusion: any fabric/charm packs/FQ bundles are ALWAYS a pure joy to receive as a gift. Free patterns that sometimes are given away at LQS are lovely to receive too. Any "equipment" or notions such as rulers and templates, guides, dresden plate templates, quilters rule (really difficult to get here if you are in to HST), ribbons and buttons, rotary cutters, make very welcome presents. Of course, here in the North East, we will always give you a warm welcome if you decide to come and visit with a suitcase full of goodies...