View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 AM
MissQuilter

I have a certain sort of work I do that is totally my choice as a quilter. Sometimes I force myself to leave my comfort zone and do something completely different as I think it is good for me and good for skill building.

These groups that have mystery projects may not be your usual "thing" but they are such fun, like a scavenger hunt. It is OK to sometimes allow yourself to give control to someone else and just be along for the ride. It is an interesting experience and if you do not like it, then do not participate in the future.

My group has done a quilt where one person made a center panel. Then it was passed around to others to add border after border. The results were beautiful and fascinating. Some were probably not what the panel maker would have chosen, but the results were wonderful. Now we are doing a "pizza box" quilt. Each box has a theme and the box is passed to another quilter each month. Eventually there will be 12 blocks with a theme and one focus fabric. Then each person in the group will receive a box.

Sometimes not having total control is good, lots of fun and definitely interesting. Enjoy your group. My group is the Red Hot Friday Night Strippers!

Quote: I belong to a quilting group that although filled with wonderful ladies, it could use some serious organization and planning, at least in my opinion.

Our group is supposed to work on homework for our next meeting. Apparently it is a major secret what the project is going to be. I'm not confident in my ability to use good judgement in placing values/scales/colors in quilt blocks when I don't have a clue what the heck I'm supposed to be making. Yep, I'm one of those who doesn't like secrecy or mystery unless I'm reading a book or watching TV. I like to see the ending from the beginning so I have a clue of what to aim for.