View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 10:22 AM
draggin_behind

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Having never been involved with a mystery quilt--------------I have a very dumb question to ask. Are you supposed to be piecing something as homework-------------or just getting your supplies in order?
Getting supplies in order, so I have been told. Part of the problem is that things have a way of changing from one email to the next. First we were supposed to have 4 inch squares of fabric, 10 each from 2 different fabrics we wanted to stand out in the quilt. "No, they do not have to match the strip sets". (according to the instructor)

Now, we need 1 square each of 2 different fabrics and both squares cut on the diagonal. Or 4 triangles (2 from each square) per block. My question is -- what about the other 9 squares we had to cut 3 days ago????

I came off being snippy, I suppose. Honestly not my intention. I just fail to see what the hoopla is all about in refusing to give us a clue what the heck we are doing. My first block always sucks, at least to me. Second or third or 20th is always better. (yep, you're right -- they are rarely ever good enough in my eyes. Working on that) What is wrong with saying, hey, here are a couple of blocks others have done in the past with this pattern?? We were told it was okay to mix spring stuff with Halloween stuff and Christmas stuff in the same 22 inch wide by 40-45 inch long strip set because "once you're done with the block, it won't matter". Sorry, sunshine, it matters to me. :P

I do not have an unlimited budget. Some fabric I have, I could happily give away in a charity project and be glad it was gone. Some fabric was given to me specifically to use in charity projects. Unfortunately, none of that bunch really goes together, at least in my eyes.

The majority of my stash I bought with the intention to be totally selfish and make something either for someone I know and love or something for myself. I don't want to cut up fabric I really like to do a project that in the end turns out looking like a dog's breakfast but COULD have turned out beautiful had I known where to put darks or lights, or just to have plain used different fabrics altogether.