View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 10:50 AM
draggin_behind

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Is someone forcing you to do this project? Sounds like you are refusing to get any pleasure out of it at all even if it sneaks up on you and worse yet, may actually be making it hard for others in the group to enjoy as well. Just walk away from the whole thing and do something you aren't so opposed to until they are done with this activity.
No one is holding a gun to my head if that is what you are asking.

Background info that might help. I did my first quilt March 2011. Lap quilt. Not bad for what it was and for a first time project. We did the 10 minute block, basic version. Our 2nd class/group project was a queen+ sized quilt. To be sewn on a domestic sewing machine. Mine did not go well. Piecing I did okay on. Quilting it was another matter altogether. The top sits in a zip bag for if and when I have the confidence and patience to finish the quilt. Batting, backing and binding also sorted and ready to rock. I ripped out quite a bit of quilting that I despised and put the whole thing aside in frustration. Every month when our group meets, our leader needles me because I have not finished the quilt and brought it to "show and tell". OK, not going there.

Our group has wonderful ladies in it. They are sweet, helpful and talented. They also have been quilting for 30+ years. They've only been machine quilting for the last 5 yrs or so. Our leader/instructor is gung-ho about showing stuff she's learned to do. Great. But remember, a student does NOT try calculus without first having had algebra and trigonometry. As our first time adventure in paper piecing, she wants to do one of the fairy quilt godmothers with pieces smaller than my fingernail. "Someday we are going to do that". Not me. I'll go watch but not participate in that one.

There is no continuity from one month to the next nor is there a lot of advance planning. We do not know what the next month's project/block/whatever will be until about 2 weeks ahead of time (and that much notice is rare), and usually after most of us have done the majority of our shopping for the month. I can't just run out to get something at the last minute -- the closest LQS to me is 60 miles one way. Even Wally world is 25 miles away. Planning would be very helpful.

Some of the ladies have deep pocketbooks. I don't. I also have a lot of issues where the spirit is willing but the body says, ain't gonna happen. I have some nasty complications from previous cancer surgery that while not visible are nonetheless life altering. People who have not been there don't get it because I look fairly normal on the outside. Bottom line, I can't always sit for hours on end at the sewing machine. I don't have a mid arm machine and a computerized stitcher to do my quilting for me. I do what I can when I can and I want the best use of my time and fabric I can get.

I was at a sewing expo a few weeks ago and took classes. Had a blast in 2 of them but had organized instructors who were more concerned with whether the student learned anything than whether they (the instructor) looked like a sage on the stage. The 3rd one was fun but the machines were tired and the class was unorganized.

I fail to see why we cannot be shown pictures of the pattern/block/project we are to do in the group. I'm not a mystery person. I've already been led down the garden path so to speak by the instructor several times in the past. i.e. We were supposed to have made 12 friendship star blocks that finished at 12 inches & bring to class. The class was going to pick out assortments of blocks & we were going to sash & sew them together into quilts for charity. My blocks are at home because "I've changed my mind, we are going to do something else. Take them home & use them for whatever". Not the last time that kind of thing happened.

She has a good heart, but her teaching methodology and I don't mix. Invariably, I will go to the group, stumble through with everyone else, come home & do research, then figure it out myself. I'm getting discouraged and about ready to toss in the towel & just play at home.

Thanks for the ideas, though!!
Mary