Old 10-04-2012, 07:43 PM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Awwww Shucks!
How nice of all of you to send Thanksgiving Greetings to me! I really do appreciate it!

Yes, Canucks do Turkey!!! .... as is the common popular meal at Christmas and Easter too!
I did a turkey breast with crockpot stuffing (homemade), mashed potatoes, veggies, homemade cranberries and apple pie last night for a friend. Good deal for me, as now I have leftovers for the next few days. Saturday night I'll be with my "adopted" family for a full out meal again! My offering will be Creamed Onions, which was ALWAYS a family MUST have and I was entrusted with the recipe a few years ago. They are indeed delicious.

A word about my "adopted" family ... no, none of us are adopted. They are a family of three siblings, my age ... their spouses, each with two kids, all partnered up. And now we have two more in the next generation .... so my "adopted" Great Niece and Nephew! The nice part about it is that the siblings were raised in the same community, so we have a lot of crossover connections and have known each other for years. Additionally, the sister is a couple years younger than me, and in high school we were often asked if we were sisters! And apparently my one sister has been asked the same in recent years. The family are amazing and so close, friendly and genuine. and at times I get totally Being that my family have all pretty much gone their ways, and when we do get together it's not the best of times ... at times I get totally ovewhelmed when I am with my new family, as to how they all interact and what a wonderful time we all have together!

Moving on to farming .... being that we know that OK has collapsed from her busy day!

You asked where does one put one of these "sausages"? .... you'll often see them running along a fencerow. Sometimes we used to put sand down in a field, and run three or four of them side by side. They don't have to be 150 ft long ... often that is determined by what feed you have and how much ... and the space you have available. It can be ended at whatever point works for you!

Those "sausage" tubes can also hold "wet" hay known as haylage, or corn known as silage. Does the same purpose as the tower silos that you see on farms. Some differences ... lower machinery cost as you do not have to have silo unloaders, nor the cost of the silo itself. And those tower silos do need to be climbed by the farmer ... and some fear heights, to say the least about the legs giving out!

Another sausage would be "wet" hay bales inside the tube. This way you can just drive into the hay bale with a fork on the front of a tractor and take the bale away. You sometimes see the large square bales inside tubes too.

GGal asked about the forages being tested ... on our farm, yes we tested all the feeds we grew on our farm. Then working with a dairy nutritionist we balanced the feed rations to ensure the cattle were getting the right nutrients for good production and the health of the animal in the most cost effective manner. Many farmers do a better job at feeding their livestock .... than feeding themselves and their families! Just think of it ... we have the nutrition labels for all our cattle feed, and then follow the dietary plan set up by the cow-dietitian!

Quilting on a Farm? ... I admire OKSGlad for finding and making the time to do so. I just never had time for it. Did a little years ago, then things just geared up too much between keeping things going in the barn, the fields ... and of course, then had all my farm office duties while keeping meals on the table. So the sewing efforts got set aside and the most I did was mending .... which always became a mountain before I got at it! So kudos to you OKSGlad for finding your "me-time"

QNSue .. Oh so sorry you are losing the Moss Sisters LAQ. Is there someone in the area that will purchase it, and will mean that you;ll still have a local person available. BTW any word on your FWS at the other LAQ?

OKSGlad ... love the RR Letter concept! I remember one Aunt who used to do one letter for all, and then photocopy it and send it off to each family. Though this idea is better ... each can answer questions and it's more like a running commentary. Just think of the fun of the letters going around the circuit of the siblings! How life and communications have changed with internet and email!

GGal .. thanks for the wishes, and only time will tell. Yes my ribbons have been kept on my design wall, near my light switch ... just for the reason you mentioned!! Helps keep me on notice to stick with things, and pay attention to detail.

'Tis getting late, and I need to be off to the Fair early in the morning to get those entries in!
Better get some sleep!! Good Night!