Old 10-05-2012, 04:37 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by mwfoley View Post
Hi. 38389 posts - I was surprised when I found this forum the other day. Lots of great information here. You all have a very nice forum. Let me introduce myself. The name is Mike and I am in Clearwater, FL. Retired. One hobby is making stuff for motorcycles, dogs, and even people sometimes. Seats, grocery bags, covers. My first machine was a Consew which I had to restore to get working. So I figured out how these gizmos work and got 'hooked' on restoring. I use the Consew for leather and heavy materials. It's great for motorcycle seats, etc. Also I like garage sales, and that way I started buying old sewing machines and fixing them up. It's one thing I like to do.

So I am pleased to meet all of you and hope to be helpful as I learn.

I saw a post back a few pages about finishes. I did a lot of woodfinishing and prefer shellac. If anyone is interested in the way I french polish then let me know. I do use urithane though. Not a purist.
Hello Mike! Welcome aboard! We love to have people join us who also share a love for the vintage sewing machine! We are a very enabling group! If you are not completely hooked on the 'old' sewing machines now, you will be hooked after visiting this forum for a few days! Several of us use treadles. I am one of those treadle people! I also use electric - mostly vintage - machines. A lot of us do motorectomies when we get one of the really old machines that someone had added a motor to - put it back to a treadle or hand crank! We'd love to see photos of your machines and the projects done with them!

Nancy