Old 10-05-2012, 06:54 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

I too, always come away from a quilt show inspired. I have only entered smaller shows but have attended a big national. I don't know if I would ever enter something as big as MQX but it is something to aspire to. I try my best to never enter any show with any expectations. I do it for the fun of seeing my quilt hanging up and sometimes I have observed spectators reaction to my quilt, which I also enjoy. I try not to eavesdrop but it is difficult, although I have been most fortunate to never hear bad things said.

We must always remember that quilt show judging is subjective, even though portions of them are objective (general construction of the quilt) the overall appearance and what a judge likes is what first gets a judges attention, then they critique in closer for the objective parts. The judges personal preferences, likes and dislikes, will always come into play. A quilt that does poorly in one show may win best of show in another. You just never know how things will come out so it is best to not go in with any expectations or hopes... THAT is what leads to the dissappointment and feelings of just wanting to quit. I am with Ghostrider, often what I see at shows gives me something to aspire to.