View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Geri B

I did speak with the manufacturer (Maytag) and a very polite young woman told me that strong colors (such as dark, dark denims, etc) will do that and they have no suggestions for removing the discoloration. She said that over time washing loads with bleach will "probably" lighten the stain. So I suggested to her - politely - they 1) ought to warn purchasers, and 2) maybe they could use a material that doesn't absorb the dye. Anyway, unless Mr. Clean or Oxyclean or something works, I will just have to get over it. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

what a shame that dark or runny colors will dye certain parts of the "new" frontloaders.......and we pay more for that privilege.....I really never put fabric in the washing machine and "wash" it. If I decide to pretreat a fabric, and that is usually only for placemats and tablerunners, so they do not pucker afterwards, I will put it in a large tub in my kitchen sink and merely rinse it out and to be honest I do not "prewash" my fabric before making a quilt w/it. No one in my circle has any sort of allergies and I would rather use unwashed than have to size afterwards. If I buy fabric that I suspect might run, I will cut a snip of it and put it in a cup/glass of boiling water and see what happens...if it runs...does not go into a quilt...goes away.........