View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Deborahlees

OK...so let us rethink this....I agree with that added information it is not worth getting serviced, for the price you paid and the cost of service (outrageous !) you would be behind.....

I agree a new Singer would not be the best of choices, not like the oldies but goodies.

There is Phaff (?) Janome, Bernina, Brother and Viking, and I could no more afford to buy a new machine either. But these dealerships should have fully serviced good working trade-ins for sale....I agree with your thought of a drop in bobbin. I have one machine of each and when I am quilting and my bobbin runs out on my Bernina, all I have to do is reach under everything and change it. On the Brother with the drop in you have to take every thing off the surface to replace the bobbin, if you are just doing general sewing or piecing not a big issue. I do like the option of needle down in both my machines, that really helps when pivoting a corner or just straightening out your fabric. I personally don't think you 'need' any type of stitch regulator, just another thing to go wrong. Something that are 'nice to have' but not necessary is a needle threader and a thread cutter, especially if you do a lot of sewing, that darn needle eye gets smaller as the day gets longer.....and yes you do need feet, a general foot, 1/4", and a free motion foot....after that they are all special like for ruffles, piping, pintucks, picot edges, zippers etc.

I hope this helps a little

Last edited by Deborahlees; 10-05-2012 at 10:53 AM.