Thread: Low Carb Help
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 01:48 PM
GrandmaNewt

My husband and I do a low carb diet off and on when we feel we need to take off a few pounds. During those times we tend to eat between 20 and 30 net carbs a day. Net carbs are where you take the carb count of foods and subtract out the grams of fiber. Be sure to ask the dietition if it is net carbs or total carbs that she should be counting.

Anyhow, we eat really well on a low carb diet. Think meats and veggies. Some veggies are higher in carbs like peas, corn and carrots, so best to avoid those and stick to things like green beans, broccoli, cauliflower etc. Pretty much anything "white" is too high in carbs, including flour, potatoes, rice, sugar. Most fruits are higher in carbs, some of the lowest carb ones would be berries...strawberries, blueberries, raspberries etc. Milk is higher in carbs, but heavy cream is not. Cheese is usually very low or no carbs.

A site with lots of good low carb recipes is http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html. Carb counts per serving are also included.

When we do low carb, I tend to substitutue things for starches. Cauliflower mashed with heavy cream, cream cheese and/or sour cream is a good sub for mashed potatoes. Cauliflower can also be riced to take the place of rice. Spaghetti squash or zucchini in place of pasta is good. Lots of salad in place of any starch on my plate along with a protien and a veggie works.

There are low carb tortillas and low carb breads in the grocery stores, but they are getting harder and harder to find these days.