View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 07:26 PM
nancia

i want to make a comment on breast cancer. my family was hit hard by this disease. it started in 1977 at christmas when my 28 yr old sister found a lump while in the shower. she had a mastectomy, chemo and radiation, and 3 more surgeries. she died feb. 18, 1979. she was 30. her name is Hope. and every time i see a fabric, sign or other bc awareness product, her name is on it. because hope found her cancer and it was unusual, my sister and i were put on alert. in 1985 i had double mastectomies. i had just turned 34. my children were 3 and 5. my oldest sister had double mastectomies 15 yrs ago, and my mom had a single radical mastectomy. we joked that she was the keeper of the family boob. the only real one left. breasts are an important part of our identity as women, but they are NOT worth dieing for. because my sister, hope, developed breast cancer the rest of us were able to live. i tell our story because that gives purpose to my being here and not dead of the disease. caught early bc has a very low mortality rate. mammograms and self-exams can save your life and those of women, and men, who you love.