View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 08:15 PM
DogHouseMom

Peckish ... there is a backspace button, upper right corner next to the P is a button with a white X in a black arrow that points left.

I love my Ipad for a lot of things, but do not use it for everything. If I have a lot of typing - more than a "message" - I prefer a good old fashioned keyboard.

Things I like ...

While in front of TV if I want to look something up immediately ... I can. This is my favorite use for it.

I like games (currently addicted to domino's, but I also play scrabble, boggle, and various others) and it's great for sitting in the family room with hubby while watching (or listening to) TV.

I travel sometimes and I love bringing my Ipad when I travel. One bonus is that you can get an app to pick up your local radio station ... my husband is currently listening to WLS radio out of chicago while he sits in London (I don't get this as I would prefer to have BBC any day of the week!). They are great companions on airplanes!

You can bring it into any room to display a recipe, quilt pattern, show hubby a quick photo or website ... whatever. I LOVE the portability of it. I even use it on the beach when I'm in Jamaica.

Longer battery life than most laptops on the market.

Unlike laptops it doesn't get hot.

Much smaller, lighter and easier to carry than a laptop.

The charger is tiny - no big clunky charger to carry around. The thing is a 2" cube and the prongs for the wall socket fold into the cube. You can charge it either on a wall socket (with the cube) or take the cable out of the cube and plug it into your PC and charge through your USB.

Things I don't like or don't use ....

Typing, as mentioned I will us it for messages, but not a lot of typing. Not only is the keyboard frustrating to use both in size and style (flat vs tactile keys), but modifying is a pain in the butt. You can back space, but if the error was WAY back there it takes a while. There is a "tap" to select then cut and past but it's kind of slow and not easy to select exactly what you want if the font is small.

One of my favorite app's is Google Earth ... it does work on the Ipad but it's slow (even when right next to the router), and doesn't have the full functionality of regular Google Earth. So some app's that you are familiar with on a PC are pared down.

Some websites will not function on an Ipad (it's becoming less frequent thankfully). If it requires a flash driver - forget it.

Sound quality is passable ... not great. The sound quality on the original Ipad (mine) is better than the IPad 2 (husbands).

I have used mine to read books, but like the Kindle - the free books are pretty limited.