Old 10-06-2012, 02:26 AM
Yarn or Fabric

I am not getting the stitch regulator. If you are used to doing free motion quilting at all, I don't think you need it. You can spend that money on something else.. and if you are redoing a house, I'm sure you'll find lots of uses for that money to set up your new studio

You have to slow down your speed to use it so I felt it was sluggish. I tried it both ways at the show - on both the Tiara and the Sweet 16 and my stitches were nice and smooth and a great length. They keep it on regulated at the shows so that most people can feel like they can quilt beautifully. I feel it is an expensive crutch... and I didn't think the stitches were *perfect* with the regulator. There were still a bunch of smaller stitches - no more than without the regulator for me but that showed me that I really didn't need it. That's just my personal opinion on it though. If you are not used to free motion quilting then you might want to consider it - or practice with free motion on your domestic before you go to the show this way you can see the difference in person. Free motion quilting takes a lot of practice. It's funny but I find it A LOT easier than stitching in the ditch which I absolutely hate.

You can also use longarm rulers on the sit down models. They aren't too terribly expensive. I'm thinking of getting some the next time I go to a show, probably at Paducah unless I do end up going to the GA Expo in a few weeks. I might also get some cut from the local glass dealer. They'll lazer cut any shape or size as long as you have it drawn out - and you know how thick your plexiglass needs to be. Longarm rulers are thicker than regular rotary cutting rulers. Too bad.. I've got lots of unused rotary cutting rulers that I could totally use for quilting lol.

I think having dealer support is a wonderful thing. I have to admit that my local Babylock dealer offered me msrp for the machine when I contacted them. I'm not paying msrp. That's all there is to it. If it was the same price as the show specials, then I would have gone for it.
The HQ dealer here in AL is only 2 hours away but I'd have to pay for shipping... the dealer that will be at the GA quilt expo is 4 hours away. I'm going to have to weigh the savings to get it in GA vs keeping the dealer support in AL... having said that the Ikea is along the way to the dealer in GA I have a lot of thinking to do....