View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 03:57 AM
JENNR8R

And for those of you who use invisible thread: How do you start and stop lines of stitching? (I usually do 1/4" or less of microstitching and cut tails off at the fabric.) This stuff is pretty slick, I'm afraid it's going to come undone.

I tried to bury my invisible thread the first time I used it. That doesn't work. You have to start and stop with tiny stitches and cut the tails off flush with the quilt. I've only used YLI invisible thread with DMC embroidery thread for the bobbin. My machine loves that combination so I've never tried anything else. I've heard that other machines don't like the invisible thread.

Also:
How do I keep the raw edges of the outer blue border from fraying while I do all these turns? The zigzag on my old Kenmore doesn't work, just forward and back.

I always use a large straight stitch (5) around the outside border as close to the edge as I can get to secure it.

Also, I wouldn't use my feed dogs with a walking foot if I had so many turns to make in such a small area. You can stitch straight lines with the feed dogs lowered and an embroidery foot. Practice on a sample or outside the edge of this quilt where you will be trimming off to see if you like doing that. It would save alot of time.